Family... Immediate or Not... is Still Family

I think this is a pretty strange first blog to have. I know people normally start with an overview like "this is my first time blogging..." or "I dont usually do this but thought it might be fun...". All things considered, I figured the easiest way to jump into this blogging thing was to frankly write exactly what was on my mind. I have been inspired by a friend of mine that I havent seen in a very long time and I decided the easiest way to share my thoughts....is to share my thoughts. So here goes....

I chose family today as a topic because it's a touchy one for me. I'm not talking about the family that you choose yourself, I'm talking about the ones that you stay away from on purpose and then talk to for a couple of months...and then stay away from again cause they made you mad... Yeah those people...

While "myspacing" recently, (don't you love how that's become a verb), I got an interesting message from a cousin that I havent seen or talked to since I was a kid. Actually we've only met once in our entire lives. But the message explained that she would be surprised if I remembered her (but we live states away and never really knew one another). She had already reached out to some of my other cousins that live less than 15 minutes away from me and truthfully knew more about whats been going on in their lives than I did. She asked me for information about other family members and seemed excited to be in touch. As I responded back to her I was really impressed and happy that she reached out to me, it made me remember that I have the same blood running through my veins with more people than just mom, dad, brothers and grandma. I have connections with family that I dont often see or think about. And I thought what a tragedy it would be to let any more of our lives go by and not share with each other what we have learned and loved.

I have always been unfortunately quick to say that I'm not very close with a lot of the members of my family. But my cousin from South Carolina made me realize that firstly, I have more family members than the ones I'm not close with, and secondly, if we're not close I may be a part of that problem.

So to the family that I don't see as often as I should and the family that I dont necessarily get along with, we're still family. Whether we like it or not. So I love you all very much, whether you want to hear it or not. It is very much true. Some family members may find it more amicable to speak through email than to actually visit. But regardless, we are family and we'll always be.

So Uncle William, thanks for coming by .... you know just to stop by. You made me feel special and loved.
And Aaron, regardless of what we have been through, I am your sister and I love you and your family. And I'll do whatever I need to do to make it right. I was wrong.
Dad, thanks for being my Dad. Whether you knew how to or not. We dont come with instructions and I love you for always loving me.
Alexandria, whether we speak or not, I'm still your sister and you cant stop me from loving you.
Aunt Doris, thank you for calling to pray with me. No matter where I am or what I'm doing I gladly stop to hear you admonish me with love. You make me remeber that God doesn't stop loving me when I mess up.

And Granny, no words can ever express how much you mean to me. You have done more for me, than I think I've done for myself and I love you. I've told you before and I'll tell you again, I love you and dont give up on me...cause one day I'm gonna hit it really BIG, and you're gonna live your older years like Oprah!!!! Ok, well maybe not that big...but you get what I'm saying.

So .... Jordana this is dedicated to you, I love you and thank you for making me remember the importance of family ..... Near and Far.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beautiful, beautiful... I almost cried, but everything you said is so true. You could have gave me a shout out too, but it's all good. Love ya hun.
Child of God said…
That was truly thought provoking and insightful. I am pleased to see that forgiveness is thriving in you and I pray that God will bless your efforts in all that you do. I have often used the excuse that I don't have time to keep in touch with everyone, but maybe I should make the time for them the same way I make time for Heroes & UFC fights..hehe. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and wisdom, love ya lady!!

Popular posts from this blog

Are you there God, It's Me...

The Best Me

Keepin' It Real