Mothering Mossimo

I have been blessed over the last few weeks with additions to my family. My brother and his wife had twin boys (pics will come) and I adopted a puppy on Monday. His name is Mossimo Darth Vadar Stewart (named by granny and Kiyah). I know that's an awful big name for a 2 month old pup but he is such an incredible little guy with tons of energy. Since this is the very closest I will be to mothering in a long time I am completely thrilled about my new baby. This is not the first pet I've adopted but certainly the first that needs "mothering". When I got Jinxi, my terribly independent cat, all I needed to do was keep the bowl filled, litter clean and she was pretty much on her own. She runs things really. When she's in the mood for love or affection she will slide herself under my dangling feet, and when she's not in the mood trust me no amount of coddling or whistling will bring her to me AT ALL. Not that I love her any less, there's just something completely exciting and even kind of scary about knowing that something depends totally on you.

Mossimo was a gift from one of our clients and she gave me and two other women in my office pups. So Mossimo's brothers Chucho and Co Co will be close, which is good for him. We plan to throw their first birthday party next November for the three of them together. I was initially a little concerned. When we got into the van to take the pups home the previous owner, Brenda, told us that this would be their very first car ride so they may get sick. SICK is an understatement! We had three puppies vomiting all over my poor coworkers car. REPEATEDLY! It was sad when the first pup did it and then downright disgusting when they started inspiring one another. We finally got them back to the office, got the van cleaned up and gave them time to rest. They were very emotional and completely tuckered out. I was also concerned about him being able to sleep by himself considering he's been sleeping with five brothers and sisters.

Nothing matched the feeling today however, when I came home from the office and he jumped up to greet me. I learned that in my absence he has tackled going up and down the stairs and he's even learning to stay in a room by himself. He is completely potty trained (which is a complete blessing) and should facilitate teaching him to go outside instead of the training pads. The smallest things about his progress and development are thoroughly tickling me and I am taking complete joy in learning what he likes and dislikes. There really is no feeling like it.

I assumed that I would have issues with Jinxi when I brought Mossimo home. I thought she would be trying to attack my pup given her size advantage so for the last 2 days I have been shutting my door and keeping her out. She has not been happy about that at all. The day I arrived home with Mossimo she came to the steps looked at the bundle in my arms with complete disgust as if to say "Seriously, when did you ask permission to bring this stray home!"...she rolled her eyes and went back under the bed. Yesterday, I went to the bathroom forgot to shut the door to my room behind me and she snuck into my room. When I emerged from the potty there she was staring at the dog and waiting for me as if to say "See, I see the dog, I'm not zapping, can we please get over this locking me out thing!" Again she rolled her eyes and walked out..tail in the air.

I love my "kiddies". They are completely different but 100% lovable. Jinxi is a cat that only a mother could love. Due to her lack of affection and concern for others no one seems to really like her but me. And that's ok. I love her to pieces. I hope she and Mossimo look out for each other like family should! I may not be ready for REAL kiddies, but I am certainly on my way! Besides, my brother and his wife are having enough for all of us. 6 for them! I'm sure what I'm experiencing however, doesn't even REMOTELY scratch the surface of the true intricacies of mothering human little ones. I am enjoying the responsibility none the less. Mothers are amazing, it seems that their work is never done and decision making takes place all day EVERY DAY!! When your an adult you can't live with them (literally) but as a child it's hard to live without them!


Mossimo and Pablo after their ride to the office


Home At Last


Visiting with Takiyah


Wouldn't be complete without my Jinxi Salmonela Allywishes Stewart!

Comments

Rosheeda said…
AWWWWWWWWWWW! You're a mommy! That's so cool!

Popular posts from this blog

Are you there God, It's Me...

Keepin' It Real

Girlfriends...